Oral history is one of our favorite ways of capturing family stories so this is a resource page for recording and editing audio. This is an overview page where we provide a variety of quick resources, links to articles and audio tools we regularly use, and that we discuss in our presentations. We hope these tips will help you in the work of recording family stories. Why? Because hearing a voice of someone we love is priceless.
(Disclaimer: This page contains a few affiliate links which means if you purchase some of the products with our links, we make a small commission. We really appreciate it! This is a tiny part of our income, but every bit helps.)
Recording and editing audio – quick tools
Here are links to our best audio articles:
- Here is a great overview of links to all our audio articles and tips in one spot: Oral History Helps.
- Transcription tools
- Audio resources
- Free voice Recording Apps
- Olympus digital recorder, our all-time favorite
- Sony – another favorite digital recorder
- Olympus Telephone pick-up microphone
These articles share detailed information about transcription tools, methods and resources.
- Record voice, edit and transcribe audio – this is a detailed article covering the resources we introduced in our audio class.
- O-Transcibe – A how-to article and review.
This full-color booklet is a wonderful guide for life story interviews, to use as journal prompts, or to spark ideas as you write your memoir.
- Single booklets: If you’d like to order one, here is a link to purchase My Life Story: Thoughtful questions to tell your story or interview someone you love.
Free Printables and Downloads
- My Life Story Questions – Free Printable book that will help you conduct great oral history interviews, and also stay current on recording and editing audio.
- Our all-time favorite questions everyone should ask (single page printable)
- Interviewing Mini Course: This free tutorial covers the ins-and-outs of interviewing, recording equipment, transcribing audio, and even shares some of our favorite questions. It is organized in a 7-day format. If you fill out the form, we will email you a printable PDF so you can take your time reviewing the material.
Helpful articles on storytelling using video, audio or good, old-fashioned writing
- Writing About the Hard Stuff and Why It’s Important
- How Storytelling Leads to Happy Parenting
- How to Storyboard
- Video Inspiration – Resources
- Art of Storytelling – Resources
Would you like help?
We love meeting with clients one-on-one. In these sessions we can storyboard your memoir, map out a custom plan to tell a life story, or help you get organized.
- Click here to contact us for a free consultation or to schedule an appointment
- Click here for an overview of the life story services we offer, and our rates
Life story interviews
We conduct professional life story interviews, which are often given as gifts to parents or grandparents. Each interview takes several hours of our time, and includes the initial consultation, printed booklet of life story question, approximately 75 minutes of audio recording, audio files on a flash drive, and the interviewer notes.
Life story interview pricing:
- One interview: $137
- Price (each) for 3 interviews: $127
- Price (each) for 6 interviews: $117
- Gift certificates:
Available in any amount, life story interview gift certificates are a meaningful alternative to buying “stuff.” We have many families give their parents, grandparents or partner a life story interview for special occasions.
Disclaimer: This page contains a few affiliate links which means if you purchase some of the products with our links, we make a small commission. We really appreciate the support you give us when you use our links. It’s a tiny part of our income, but it helps!